Creamy, hearty, One Pot Mushroom Stroganoff Pasta
This One Pot Vegan Mushroom Stroganoff Pasta is so simple and easy to make, and tastes so comforting and delicious.
The flavours are hearty and dare I say it, ‘meaty’ (which isn’t a bad thing in my opinion, as long as it’s all animal free – which it obviously is!)
I absolutely adore mushrooms and I got lots reduced recently so this was an ideal way to use lots up at once.
I based this recipe on the lovely recipe of “From My Bowl” (frommybowl.com)
- 1 Small Onion
- 250g mushrooms (I used chestnut)
- 500g Dry Pasta (GF if necessary)
- 2 tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- 1/4 tsp Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 113g Cream cheese approx – just less than half a Tesco free from/Bute Island Foods cream cheese tub (see other options in notes below)
- 1/4 – 1/2 tsp Salt (optional)
- 940ml (1pint + 370ml) approx Beef Flavored Veggie Broth (see method below)
- 1/2tsp each marmite / Vegemite (or 1tsp of either)
- 1/4tsp each soy sauce / Maggi liquid seasoning (or 1/2 tsp of either)
- 1 heaped tsp each red Bisto gravy / veg Bouillon powder
- 1/4tsp each smoked paprika, turmeric, cayenne pepper, garlic powder & turmeric
- 1tsp liquid smoke (optional)
- Peel & chop your Onion. Clean your Mushrooms using a damp paper towel or cloth, then cut in half or fourths, depending on size, keeping them nice and chunky.
- Pour a splash of water to a large pot over medium heat. Add in the onions and cook until translucent, approx 3 minutes.
- Make up your broth (part A) – add Marmite & Vegemite to 1 pint of boiled water in a jug and stir. Add to the pot.
- Add in the Pasta, Mushrooms, Broth, Nutritional Yeast, and Black Pepper to the pot.
- Make up broth (part B) – add bisto and bouillon to 370ml boiled water. Stir and add to pot.
- Bring to a boil and let simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally to ensure nothing sticks to the bottom of the pan.
- Add in the rest of your herbs and spices & liquid smoke (as desired) tasting as you go.
- Turn the heat off, then either serve as is, or to make creamy, stir in the cream cheese (or alternatives as suggested below) until everything is well mixed.
- Taste and add any additional salt or seasoning, if necessary.
- Top with freshly chopped Parsley and Black Pepper, and serve warm. Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to one week.
*To make this dish creamy, in place of cream cheese you can also use the following: soy/ oat cream, coconut milk (tinned), vegan creme fraiche (eg Oatly), Cashew Butter or homemade cashew cream.
*Try adding in Fry’s or Vbites beef style pieces, or chunks of homemade seitan either in place of the mushrooms or as well as.
*You can buy Vegan Beef-Flavored Broth online, Better Than Bouillon No Beef Base Vegetarian
*Try cooking this dish with rice or arborio rice for a tasty one pot risotto!