Baba ghanoush… Bhaba … Babha… Babah… Ganoush… Gahnoush… However you spell it, you cant go wrong with this classic dish… a bit like a sexy older sibling to houmous (Hummus?!) …it’s silky and smokey and oh so finger licking tasty!
Use it as a dip for pitta, a filling for spuds, a stir through sauce for posh mushrooms on toast… oh the delicious options are endless!
Loving the fact that Aubergines (Eggplant!) are so reasonably priced too so this can be a really quick, simple and cheap go to dish that’s sure to impress not only your taste buds, but any loved ones lucky enough to have you make them this!
I served mine with baked tofu and lemon roasted asparagus
- 1 Aubergine
- 1/2 tin chickpeas or butterbeans (you can make this dip without either but I like the texture it gives, plus added nutrition, bonus!)
- 1/2 lemon, squeezed
- 1 large clove garlic
- 2 tbsp tahini
- Sprinkle sea salt
- 1 tsp smoked paprika and/or 1/2 tsp cumin
*If you like a very smoked flavour you can use smoked garlic, smoked salt or even add in ½ tsp liquid smoke
- Preheat oven to high or medium temp.
- Simply pierce your aubergine and place in tray onto top shelf in oven. You can also roast your garlic if desired.
- Bake until the aubergine skin begins to darken up and starts to crisp slightly. It’s perfectly baked when the inner flesh has gone very soft and caramelised.
- Remove and cut in half with a sharp knife (hold with a clean towel if very hot) and pull the flesh away from the skin with a spoon – It should be soft and tender and the skin should come off easy. Add flesh to a food processor. (Feel free to add your aubergine skin to the mix too if it’s lovely and soft as it will blend well).
- Add lemon juice, garlic, tahini, chickpeas/butter beans and a pinch of salt and mix until creamy. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. (I like a bit more tahini because I have a tahini obsession).
- Serve with pita and/or tortilla chips and veggies. Will keep covered in the fridge for several days.
Top tip! Stir through some mayonnaise (try my easy peasy version) for a deliciously creamy, flavour that’s an ideal topping on just about anything… and also ideal for dipping pretty much everything! Particularly chips YUM!
If you try this let me know what you think! Tag me in your creations on instagram @vegan_plate